October 18, 2009

Knock . . . Knock!

A knock at the door
A ring of the bell
"Who is that?"
"I can’t tell."

I opened the door
I peeked outside
Wondering who was here
On this frightful night

In the dark
Standing there
Was a cat
In frog’s hair

He murmured three words
As I stood
Held out his hands
As far as he could

I jumped back
And gave a shriek
Shutting the door
As my knees went weak

I turned to my friend
Who's eyes did stare
As I told him about
The cat in frog’s hair

He looked at me
As he started to leave
“Don’t you know?”
“It’s All Hallows’ Eve.”

"Wait a minute!"
"Please don’t leave!"
"It’s not the 31st!"
"It’s not All Hallows’ Eve!"

He just stood
Waiting there
“The cat was real?”
“In frog’s hair?”

We dashed through the house
As we let out a squeal
Running so fast
As if he were at our heels

Still at the door
The cat gave a yelp
I grabbed the phone
To call for help

As the cat approached
My friend disappeared
Leaving me alone
As the cat’s head reared

I closed my eyes
And put up my arm
Hoping the cat
Would do me no harm

He tapped my leg
And showed me a sack
Completely empty
Was his fish head pack

I could only point
As my finger shook
Behind me was
The kitchen nook

He opened the doors
And took what he could
Filled his pack
To the brim with food

When he was done
He crawled to the door
As I lay still
Down on the floor

He waved goodbye
I nodded in fright
Then he was gone
Disappeared from sight

To this day
I will never be
Found in my house
Near All Hallows’ Eve