September 30, 2009

Making Progress . . .

Year: One
Season Spring
Day: Ten

The last day of spring has arrived! There wasn’t much to do on the farm since I decided to wait and plant summer crops instead of trying to push a last minute round of spring crops. Because of all the free time, I headed up to Carter’s Dig to excavate the ruins there. To my surprise, as I was working with Carter and Flora, I found a stone tablet with an odd language on it. Carter and Flora were ecstatic and thanked me for helping them find it. We were all sure that there was more to this stone tablet and continued to work for a while longer but with no success.

I headed back towards the farm and saw Takakura in the pastures. He waved me over and showed me the pond that he just finished installing. It gave Miel a lot more water and allowed for me to get some more animals as well. Takakura even mentioned that I might attract some wild ducks with the new pond. I thanked him for his hard work and all his help. I finished up my daily routine, wrote about my day in my journal, and quickly went to sleep looking forward to the first day of summer.


Year: One
Season: Summer
Day: One

It’s the first day of summer and the weather is great! I was able to plant my entire lot of summer crops in one go. A final round of Tomato Seeds, some first time Melon Seeds, and a handful of Turnip Seeds filled the field. With a new season comes new crops and I’m excited to see how they grow. With such nice weather, I went fishing after I finished the rest of my morning chores. There, at the river bank, I caught a Huge Smelt! I hope to make a pretty penny from it when I sell it to Van.

I headed back to the farm at the same time Takakura arrived from the city. He waved me over to the Chicken Coop and introduced me the Rooster I had ordered. Jing was big and looked healthy, and Nanao seemed to like him. After I made sure Jing was settled in, I left the Coop to finish the rest of my work, only to find Nik, Nak, and Flak standing outside the door. They were so excited that they talked over each other; the only thing I could understand was that they had something to give me. They dragged me to their house which was located inside the giant tree by the Pond to the north of the farm. Once inside, they settled down and showed me what they had found . . . a Blue Feather! It’s a very rare item, selling for huge sums in the city, and they were giving it to me. Come to find out, giving a Blue Feather to the person you love is a traditional way of proposing marriage in Forget-Me-Not Valley. I thanked them for the gift and headed back to the farm. I couldn’t help but think that everyone in the Valley wants me to find a bride . . . what to do?


Year: One
Season: Summer
Day: Two

Today was such a busy day! Watering the fields, feeding the Chickens, brushing Miel, and tending to the farm kept me on my feet for most of the day. I was starting to get a bit discouraged with all the hard work and it didn’t help that I wasn’t making enough money to support the farm. I found myself barely staying in the “black” and I had to watch my finances carefully. Takakura saw this and tried to cheer me up. As a way to say that I was doing a great job, he brought a Horse from the city for me. He was a handsome animal with a dark brown coat and a thick, black mane. Takakura told me that he was a gift and to use him well. I named him Koharu and placed his Feed Box across from Miel’s in the Barn.

After letting Koharu get settled, I took him for a ride around the valley. I rode him to every corner of the valley, his strong legs easily took us everywhere with great speed. As I was heading back to the farm, I ran into Celia who was running some errands for Vesta. We talked for a while until I realized the time and had to excuse myself. Koharu and I quickly headed back to the farm so I could finish the rest of my work. I have to really thank Takakura, his thoughtfulness helped to re-energize me and re-excite me about working Hyde Farm.